Thursday, December 27, 2012

Minimize Regrets And Not Failures



While I ponder on 2012 and plan for 2013, I always keep the regret minimization framework (watch the short video clip above) in back of my mind. Of course luck plays a huge part in people's success, but we owe it a lot to Jeff Bezos. We probably wouldn't have seen Amazon.com and we most certainly would not have seen EC2. No one predicted anything about Amazon being a key cloud player. A few years back Twitter didn't exist and Facebook was limited to college kids. I do make plans but I have stopped predicting since I will most certainly get it wrong.

"Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." - Dwight Eisenhower

I use regret minimization framework not only as a long-term thinking tool but also to make decisions in short-term. It helps me assess, prioritize, and focus on right opportunities. While long-term thinking is a good thing, I strongly believe in setting short term goals, meeting them, and more importantly cherishing them. If you're not minimizing regret you're minimizing fear of failures. I don't fear failures, I celebrate them; they're a learning opportunity. As Bill Cosby put it, "In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."

All the best with your introspection and indispensable planning for 2013. Focus on the journey, the planning, and not the destination, the plan.

6 comments:

Mukta Dhanuka said...

If you're not minimizing regret you're minimizing fear of failures, confusing.!!

Harry Luke said...

Thanks for sharing. I am agree with your article. Cloud Hosting India is a good idea to increase the performance of website.

David Frankk said...

a failure is only a failure if you agree that it was. if you gained anything positive out of it, it's not a failure anymore.

albionglobal4u said...

You are right

hello said...

Hello

Jenols Polders said...

How is is relating to top rated Cloud storage content? You must give a try to http://www.cloudstoragebest.com/top-10-cloud-storage/ becaue they are more better than atleast this blog, which has all topics irrelevant.